A kringle is a Scandinavian buttery pastry or cookie, usually in the shape of a pretzel or a figure 8.
These are Norwegian-style kringla cookies – sweet spiced cookies, made with buttermilk.
Kringla Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3 cups of flour
- ½ cup of margarine or butter
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 2-1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla or a dash of nutmeg
- Additional cinnamon (optional)
- Cream together the sugar and butter. Add the egg and mix well.
- Sift together the baking soda, flour and baking powder and add to the sugar mixture, alternately, with the buttermilk. Add the vanilla or nutmeg and mix.
- Cover tightly and let rest overnight in the refrigerator.
- Taking approximately 1 teaspoon at a time, roll the dough into a thin roll and twist into a pretzel-like shape. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet in a pre-heated 475° oven until they are brown on the bottom.
- Place under broiler for approximately 1 minute (just until brown on top).