Mashed potato bread is a type of bread where a portion of the flour is replaced with mashed potato. Perfect for when you have leftover mashed potato after dinner.
This potato bread recipe is a less-potato-more-flour version. I find this recipe has a good ratio to keep the bread dense, but not too heavy. You can experiment by adding more potato if you like, for a chewier denser version.
Mashed potato bread recipe card
- 2 cups of scalded milk
- 1 cup of cold mashed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 6 cups of flour
- 1 package of active, dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons of butter
- Scald the milk and let it cool until it is lukewarm.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the milk and stir until it is dissolved.
- Blend in the potatoes, salt, sugar and butter.
- Slowly add 4 cups of the flour and stir well. Add the remaining 2 cups of flour. Knead until it is smooth and elastic.
- Place it into a greased bowl after turning once.
- Cover and rise in in a place that is approximately 85°F for one hour or until it doubles.
- Punch it down, pull in edges and turn over.
- Cover and let it rise again for 30 minutes or until it is almost doubled again.
- Divide and shape into 2 loaves and place in pans.
- Cover the pans and let the dough rise about 45 minutes or until they are about doubled in size.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for about 50 minutes.
- Let cool in pans on a rack and remove.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 1384mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 10g