Mrs Beeton’s Scone recipe is from Mrs Beeton’s Cookery Book, published in 1925.
The original recipe
INGREDIENTS—1lb of flour, 1oz sugar, 2oz. of butter or fat, 2 teaspoonfuls of cream of tartar, 1 teaspoonful of bicarbonate of soda, ½ teaspoonful of salt, ½ pint of milk.
METHOD—Rub the fat into the flour, mix in the sugar, salt, and cream of tartar. Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the milk, stir into a smooth dough. Knead lightly, form into a round cake, which place on a greased tin, and before baking cut crosswise in four to half its depth. Bake in a quick oven from 3- to 35 minutes. When half done brush over with milk.
TIME—To bake, about 30 to 35 minutes.
Mrs Beeton’s Scone Recipe Card
Mrs Beeton's Scone Recipe
Mrs Beeton's Scone recipe from 1925.
- 3½ cups flour
- 1 oz sugar
- 2 oz butter
- 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoonful of salt
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 220°C/ 430°F. Lightly grease a baking tray.
- Sift flour into a mixing bowl, rub the butter into the flour. Mix in the sugar, salt, and cream of tartar.
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the milk, add to the mixing bowl and stir into a smooth dough. Knead lightly and shape into a rectangle shape around 2cm/ 1 inch thick.
- Grease a baking tray and place the scone dough on the prepared baking tray.
- Cut dough into 12 even-sized squares, and slightly separate to leave a space between them.
- Bake at 220°C/ 430°F for 10 minutes until golden brown. To add a light glaze, brush over with milk when half done.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 187Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 171mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g