This recipe is found in Mrs Beeton’s The Book of Household Management published 1861.
Mrs Beeton’s Cook Book ( as it is known) contains many many recipes that have stood the test of time, including this delicious recipe for baked rice pudding.
- 1 teacupful of rice
- 2 tablespoonfuls of moist sugar
- 1 quart of milk
- 1/2 oz. of butter or 2 small tablespoonfuls of chopped suet
- 1/2 teaspoonful of grated nutmeg
- Wash the rice, put it into a pie-dish with the sugar, pour in the milk, and stir these ingredients well together;
- then add the butter cut up into very small pieces, or, instead of this, the above proportion of finely-minced suet;
- grate a little nutmeg over the top, and bake the pudding, in a moderate oven, from 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- As the rice is not previously cooked, care must be taken that the pudding be very slowly baked, to give plenty of time for the rice to swell, and for it to be very thoroughly done.